For 6 Servings
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
- ½ cup raw cashews (65 g)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (35 g)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable stock (480 mL)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions (455 g)
- fresh parlsey, for garnish
- Cut off both ends of the butternut squash and poke all over with a fork. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Peel the skin off of the squash. The skin should peel right off! Once peeled, slice the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, and cut into 1-inch (2-cm) cubes. You should have about 5 cups (1 kg).
- In a slow cooker, combine the squash, onion, cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, rosemary, nutmeg, olive oil, mustard, salt, and vegetable stock. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours, until the vegetables are soft enough to be easily mashed with a fork.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a blender, or use an immersion blender, and puree for 5 minutes, until there are no chunks and the sauce develops a creamy texture.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and stir well.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
If you liked this Slow Cooker Vegan Butternut Squash Mac recipe, you may also like our Caprese Mac And Cheese recipe which we previously posted.
Our aim is to get more people excited about cooking and the vast options available to anyone with a desire to create. Cooking is about feeding the soul, combining good quality ingredients to the mouths and tummies of the people we love. This recipe was originally posted on Tasty.co.